Tuesday, January 25, 2011

CAVE LECTURE 1-24-11



   Aside from getting to watch some great scenes from the movie The Matrix, I enjoyed getting to know some early history about art. The cave I found most interesting was the one located in Lascaux, France. The size alone is impressive and the fact that it has been around for 17,300 years is amazing. The mural content is quite interesting, these primitive people did not draw complex drawings. They kept it simple by depicting large animals, hands, and shapes. And even more difficult they drew on the ceilings of the caves. It would be great to see these large murals in person!

BTW: I'm the kind of person Professor Zucman described (using the Mona Lisa example) I would be the typical tourist waiting in line with my camera waiting to see the famous Mona Lisa, even if it was soooo far away that it looked the size of a postage stamp!! of course I'm a little more educated on it's history and back round. And of course I would post it on facebook :)

No comments:

Post a Comment