Monday, February 21, 2011

$ 17 MILLION DOLLARS!!!


Art dealer Larry Gagosian paid $17.4 million dollars for a recently rediscovered Andy Warhol painting at Christie's in London this past Wednesday, February 16th . The piece which dates from 1967 is a red square six-foot acrylic and silkscreen piece showing Warhol staring thoughtfully at the viewer, two fingers covering his mouth. The portrait was one of a series of 11 large self-portraits, five of which are in museums. This piece had been in a private collection since 1974 and has never been published. It is unbelievable that someone would pay so much money for a painting. Although, I think if I had the money to splurge on artwork I would have a Monet hanging in my living room. Personally, I am not a fan of Andy Warhol's work but I know that he is the artist best known for his pop art. Especially his Campbell's soup can paintings. If you could purchase any painting what would it be and by who!? ADD A COMMENT BELOW :)


No comments:

Post a Comment